Writing and Updating NIGP Chapter Bylaws
Bylaws are the fundamental rules that define your chapter. Unlike a policy manual or strategic plans, Bylaws have a specific order to follow. They must be accurate as they are a legal document.
Bylaws are established in a single document.
- Bylaws should be reviewed regularly by your board and follow the NIGP and chapter membership approval process.
- Once the chapter board has agreed on changes, this document should be sent to NIGP either in red-lined or itemized format for review prior to going to the membership for a vote.
- NIGP will review and offer any changes or updates recommended. The purpose of the review is to ensure conformance with current NIGP Bylaws and policies (reference in the 2021 Chapter Operating Framework document GOVERNING DOCUMENTS #12).
- Once NIGP has reviewed your bylaws and provided feedback, send your bylaws to your membership for a vote.
- Once approved, please send a clean copy back to NIGP to post below and for our historical records.
Articles to Include in Your Chapter’s Bylaws
While the specific information included in your chapter’s Bylaws will be unique, the Bylaws should include these articles in the following order:
- Executive Board
- Parliamentary Authority
Sample Bylaws from NIGP Chapters
Bylaws should be revisited and revised regularly to make sure they reflect the current standing of the chapter. You can use this sample Bylaws template to create new Bylaws or revise old ones.
Here are sample Bylaws from NIGP chapters of all sizes that you can review.
Sample Bylaws from Small Chapters
- Alaska-Hawaii Governmental Procurement Association
- Assiniboia Chapter of NIGP
- California Chapter of NIGP
- Canada West Chapter of NIGP
- Central Gulf Coast Chapter
- Copper Chapter of NIGP
- Grand Canyon Chapter of NIGP
- Gulf Coast Association of Governmental Purchasing Officers
- Idaho Public Purchasing Association
- Iowa Public Procurement Association
- Mid-Tennessee Public Purchasing Association
- North Florida Procurement Association
- Pennsylvania Public Purchasing Association
- Public Purchasers Association of Northern Ohio
- Public Purchasing Association of Connecticut
- Tallahassee Area Chapter
- Washington DC Chapter of NIGP
Sample Bylaws from Medium Chapters
- Arkansas Chapter
- Capital Area Purchasing Association
- Columbia Chapter of NIGP
- Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex Chapter
- East Tennessee Purchasing Association
- Greater Miami Chapter of NIGP
- Southeast Texas Association of Public Purchasing
- Utah Chapter
Sample Bylaws from Large Chapters
- Central Florida Chapter
- Central Ohio Organization of Public Purchasers
- Georgia Chapter of NIGP
- Governmental Procurement Association of Georgia
- Kentucky Public Procurement Association
- Louisiana Chapter of NIGP
- Michigan Public Purchasing Officers Association
- Missouri Association of Public Purchasing
- Tampa Bay Chapter
- Washington State Chapter
- Wisconsin Association for Public Procurement
Sample Bylaws from Extra Large Chapters
- Arizona State Capitol Chapter
- Carolinas Association of Governmental Purchasing
- Maryland Public Purchasing Association, Inc.
- Mississippi Association of Governmental Purchasing and Property Agents
- New Mexico Public Procurement Association
- New York State Association of Municipal Officials
- Oklahoma Association of Public Procurement
- Oregon Public Purchasing Association
- South Carolina Association of Governmental Purchasing Officials
- South East Florida Chapter