Procurement of architect and engineering professional services and construction services is a niche specialty in the profession. While the public procurement principles continue to apply, some practices, methods, and laws are unique to the procurement of professional services and construction. Procuring professional design services and construction can be very challenging, as each project is unique, and often complicated. New and evolving project delivery methods like progressive design-build and construction manager at risk adds new challenges for the public procurement professional.
Upon successful completion of the certificate, the certificate holder will be able to:
- Procure professional design services and construction by applying the latest public procurement best practices
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and policies that apply to procuring design and construction services
- Select the most appropriate construction project delivery method for each construction project; and
- Administer design and construction contracts to meet project goals
This certificate is targeted to individuals who meet or exceed the following professional demographics:
- Advanced-level public procurement and central warehouse professionals who serve as assistants, coordinators, buyers, or equivalent functions within their respective entities.
- Non-procurement managers and supervisors who are responsible for either the procurement function or staff who provide procurement functions under delegated authority.
- Professionals who are employed by governing entities and special authorities (such as K-12 and higher education, publicly owned utilities, transportation providers, and other publicly funded or created organizations) that either serve within or manage the procurement function.
- Suppliers or representatives of suppliers seeking to understand the public procurement function from a holistic level, including the policies, standards, and procedures by which public entities must function.
I just finished up the 3-day (Specialty certificate for Construction Procurement) virtual class and absolutely loved it! …the instructor, Joe Tommie was nothing short of incredible! …Joe facilitated masterfully, ensuring that there was plenty of opportunity to collaborate on scenarios in breakout sessions and welcomed all questions to ensure we fully understood the curriculum. In short, I couldn’t be more impressed!
Carrie Mathes, MPA, CFCM, NIGP-CPP, CPPO, C.P.M., CPPB, A.P.P.
Procurement Division Manager
Orange County, FL