Our Collection of Your Personal Data
NIGP collects and uses information that, alone or in combination with other information, could be used to identify you in order to deliver our products and services, process applications to join as a member of NIGP and inform you of various opportunities and benefits, etc.
Personal Data That You Voluntarily Provide To Us:
NIGP primarily collects personal data provided to us by individuals when they join our organization or interact with our products, services, and customer service. For example, you voluntarily provide us with personal data when you register for a course or meeting, purchase a product, submit a web form, download content (such as a white paper or a brochure), or call or email us directly.
The types of personal data that we collect when you become a member of NIGP includes your gender, prefix (Mr., Ms.), name, current certifications held (e.g., CPPO, CPPB, CPM), agency name, title, mailing address, telephone number, fax number, email address, website address, date of birth, and if you are the Agency Representative are automatically included in the Online Members-Only Membership directory. With respect to NIGP agency members, the application form generally requires that this information be the individuals’ business contact information. However, individual members can submit either agency information or their personal home information. In some cases, such as self-employed individuals, or retirees, the agency and home information is identical. The online membership directory is available to foster business and personal networking and to provide the ability to be in touch with other NIGP members across the Association. NIGP members voluntarily provide this contact information and the option to opt-out of appearing in this directory on the website is provided.
The above information then feeds your personal member profile on the website which can only be accessed by you. Your Name, Agency, Address, Phone and Email do appear as part of the online member directory, however only members of NIGP are able to access it and once again, opting out of appearing in this directory is an option.
When you create a profile on nsite.nigp.org, your contact details (as described above) is stored by us but additional information that you elect to upload to your profile, such as a biography, LinkedIn Information, your education and job history, Professional Associations, Honors and Awards, lives on a Third Party Vendor site. We also collect information that is provided, posted or uploaded by users to NSite. We do not control the content that users post to our communities. You should carefully consider whether you wish to submit personal data and whether you wish to make your profile available to other users, and you should tailor any content you submit appropriately. View Higher Logic, our Third Party Vendor’s data protection policy. https://www.higherlogic.com/legal/privacy/
Automatically Collected Data
As you interact on our Websites, we collect information about your computer or device and visits to one or more of our Websites through cookies, web beacons and other technologies, Internet Protocol (IP) address tracking/URL tracking, and other tools. The types of automatically collected data collected on our Websites through the use of these and other tools that we add from time to time include: the search terms you used, new or returning user information, browser information, computer or device type, operating system, internet service provider, website usage, referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks.
What Are Cookies
Cookies are pieces of data sent to your browser when you visit a website and stored on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies store user preferences and other information. For example, cookies can store your session information for easy log-in to a website or platform, or your language or user interface customization preferences or allow websites to record your browsing activities (for example, number of page views, number of visitors, and time spent on each page). We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. A session ID cookie expires when you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for a set period of time or until you delete it.
Cookies allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the Websites and Platforms when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Websites and Platforms work, for example by making sure visitors are finding what they need easily. The information collected through these cookies include anonymous traffic statistics, like number of page views, number of visitors, and time spent on each page.
You can also prevent your data from being collected by Google Analytics on the Websites by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on for your current web browser at the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
NIGP uses a tracking technique that employs embedded URLs to allow use of the Websites without cookies. Embedded URLs allow limited information to follow you as you navigate the Websites, but are not associated with personal data and are not used beyond the session.
How We Use Information
We use the personal data we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To ensure that NIGP is accurately representing its members and to demonstrate our commitment to providing opportunity for our members regardless of ethnicity, gender, age, disability, geographic location, or professional level, NIGP also collects Demographic Information about Agencies, Agency Representatives and Individual Members. This includes number of organization employees, number in purchasing, population served, procurement volume, gender, date of birth, annual salary, educational degrees, years in the profession, and disability and ethnicity information. This information is used in an aggregate reporting format only and will not be attributed to any specific group, agency, or individual, nor is this information a requirement of membership. This information is not a condition of membership. You can view and update your information by clicking on the edit link in your personal profile when you log into the NIGP website. Each year, NIGP assesses the organization’s demographic profile which includes information on membership, volunteer leadership and staff. This information is used to determine the overall characteristics of our membership, review trends in public purchasing and to analyze and develop customized membership services and resources.
- Processing of purchases of products, registrations, memberships
- Respond directly to your information requests (including registrations, course purchases, product purchases, memberships) or other inquiries.
We do not use automatic decision-making or engage in profiling that produces legal effects or similarly significant affects.
Marketing. We also use your contact information to contact you by email or by phone regarding information that we think is of interest to you. To designate what topic-specific emails you would like to receive from NIGP or to opt-out of marketing emails from NIGP, go to our Email Preference Center at: https://ams.nigp.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=LoginRequired&expires=yes&Site=NIGP, create an account, and click on My Email Preferences in your user profile. Another option would be to click on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our e-mails. To remove yourself from phone communication, email our Customer Care Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-736-8900.
Members of NIGP who have opted out of email communications will continue to receive membership renewal notifications. That opt-in for renewal notices was given at the time you or your agency’s representative provided us with your email address and/or personal data when joining as a member of NIGP.
With your permission, we also use information you provide to us as a testimonial posted on the Websites. Transactional Email. Through the process of making a purchase from NIGP, NIGP will send you an email confirmation of that purchase. When you purchase a webinar, course, etc. but have also opted out of communications with NIGP, only information relevant to that purchase will be emailed to you. (Webinar login, course materials, etc.) Correspondence. If you correspond with NIGP via e-mail, the postal service, our web forms, or other form of communication, we retain the correspondence and the information it contains. We use the information for business purposes, including responding to your inquiry, notifying you of NIGP-related opportunities, and other marketing purposes (please read the Marketing section above for more information on our marketing practices and how to opt out or unsubscribe).
Where we intend to use or otherwise process your personal data for a purposes other than the purpose for which it was collected, we will provide you with information regarding the purpose for the processing, as well as other relevant information, prior to processing your personal data for the new purpose.
Disclosure of Information
NIGP discloses personal data that we collect (described above) in accordance with the terms set forth in this section. We share your personal data with third parties who provide certain services to us to assist us in meeting business operation needs. These parties are authorized to process your personal data, on our behalf and pursuant to our instructions, only as necessary to provide these services to us. We share your personal data with the following service providers:
- Providers of payment processing and accounting, as necessary to process payment from our Clients (Sage)
- Online Communities Software Platform (HigherLogic)
- Automated communication platforms (Act-On)
- Learning management system that integrates with our platform (WBT TopClass)
- Event App for our Annual Forum (TripBuilder)
- Association Management System database (Abila NetForum Enterprise)
- Providers of research and analytics services, including Google Analytics
- Providers of cloud computing infrastructure services
- We may provide your information to our third party partners for marketing or promotional purposes.
How You Can Access and Change Information
NIGP acknowledges that you have the right to access your personal data. Our website allows you to access, correct, or amend most inaccurate data. Included are: photos, social media links, name, address, email, phone, fax, contact preference, directory availability preference and bio information. In case you request us to remove data, we will respond within a reasonable timeframe.
Upon request, NIGP will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal data. You can update or correct your personal data or remove it from our system by making a request to us at the contact information provided below. Requests typically receive a response within thirty (30) days.
EU Data Subjects
This section applies if you are an individual located in the European Union. For these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and, where applicable, Switzerland. NIGP is the data controller for the processing of your personal data, but use Third Party Vendors as data processors as described above.
Lawful Basis for Processing
NIGP processes personal data with your consent (e.g., when you agree that NIGP may place cookies, or when NIGP processes personal data submitted to the Website for specified purposes).
On other occasions, NIGP may process personal data when it needs to do this to fulfill a contract (for example, for billing purposes) or where required to do this by law.
If necessary, NIGP may also process personal data when it is in NIGP’s legitimate interests to do this (e.g., for customer service or fraud detection) and when these interests are not overridden by your data protection rights.
If you wish to exercise the right to withdraw consent, contact our Director of IT, Tony Yu at email@example.com. Visit the “Contact Us” section below for contact information.
Transfers of Personal Data
Please be aware that the personal data we collect may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, country, or other jurisdiction, where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your location. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store personal data in the United States and your consent to this privacy notice represents your agreement to this processing.
Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your personal data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that personal data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your personal data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. If we have shared your personal data with others, we will tell them about the rectification where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your personal data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your personal data and we will do so. If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your personal data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of that personal data or object to us processing it. If we have shared your personal data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your personal data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: You have the right to obtain your personal data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform a purchase/membership with you. We will give you your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your personal data, and we will do so.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under “Contact Us” section below. Please be aware the NIGP may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so. Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
We retain your personal data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements. The criteria used to determine the period of storage of personal data is the respective statutory retention period or 7 years.
Our Security Measures to Protect Your Personal Data
We are committed to taking reasonable efforts to secure the information that you choose to provide us, and we use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect against unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal data.
The Websites and Apps are not intended for use by or targeted at children under 16, and we do not knowingly or intentionally collect information about children under 16.
Address: 2411 Dulles Corner Park, Suite 350, Herndon, VA 20171
For visitors from the European Union, contact: NIGP Director of IT, Tony Yu at firstname.lastname@example.org.