In this instructor-led environment, learners interact with a cohort of their peers over a set period. The course experience is built around experiential learning, or “learning by doing,” empowering learners through practical application of real-life tasks while tapping into the experience of both peers and an NIGP-certified facilitator. As part of course registration, students receive a workbook including job aids, practical application exercises, and case studies designed to promote critical thinking and immediate, post-course application of lessons.
As stewards of the public trust, public procurement professionals must cultivate leadership skills not only to lead others through complex processes but also to become an active contributor to the achievement of their entities as a whole. Building upon the comprehensive belief that leadership at all levels is critical for success in the procurement function, NIGP’s Foundations of Leadership Core Certificate empowers practitioners to take their careers to the next level, integrating hallmark concepts on leadership, innovation, agility, communication, and relationship management to empower novice leaders with the skillsets they need to succeed. Through integrated course methodologies, learners will engage in targeted case studies, exercise-driven scenarios, and concept-driven mentorship in order to gain a foundation understanding of leadership and the practices you need to excel in the field. Throughout this interactive and engaging course, learners will develop the skills they need to become great leaders not only in the procurement function but in the entirety of their governmental entity.
For individuals who meet or exceed the following
- Public procurement and central warehouse professionals who serve as assistants, coordinators, buyers, or equivalent functions within their respective entities.
- Non-procurement managers and supervisors who are responsible for either the procurement function or staff who provide procurement functions under delegated authority.
- Professionals who are employed by governing entities and special authorities (such as K-12 and higher education, publicly-owned utilities, transportation providers, and other publicly-funded or created organizations) that either serve within or manage the procurement function.
The Certificate Holder
Upon successful completion of the certificate, the certificate holder will be able to:
- Define leadership and explain its role in driving change, innovation, and agility.
- Identify the factors a leader or manager can employ to promote change.
- Identify strategic change and mastering a changing environment.
- Identify the factors in interpersonal communication.
- Recognize the role of the audience in effective communication and the importance of understanding an audience's needs.
- Identify the different communication methods and strategies and explain under which circumstances specific methods and strategies are more likely to be successful.
- Identify the application of specific organizational theories to workplace situations.
- Assess opportunities to improve performance of the procurement organization based on identified challenges and conflicts.
- Analyze context with an enhance understanding based on positions, issues, or problems related to the procurement function or issue.
In order to successfully complete the NIGP Foundations of Leadership Certificate, learners must:
- Complete any pre-work materials provided prior to the course start date.
- Attend and participate in the entirety of the instructional event.
- Complete the post-course evaluation survey available in Aspire.
- Complete the final assessment examination with a 70% or higher.
As outlined above, all students must successfully complete a timed post-course assessment upon completion of the learning experience. Assessments can be taken up to three (3) times to achieve a passing score. If a learner is unsuccessful in achieving a passing score within these attempts, they will be required to take the course again. For the Foundations of Leadership Core Certificate, students will have 120-minutes to complete all questions in the assessment, with any questions not answered being marked “Incorrect” within Aspire. Once learners receive access, they will have ten (10) calendar days to complete the assessment. Students who do not complete the assessment within this time frame will be required to retake the course.
Prior to entering the classroom environment, students will be enrolled in the following self-paced courses to learn and practice necessary concepts.
NIGP has not currently identified if pre-work is necessary for this core certificate. Should pre-work be identified, learners will receive the materials two weeks prior to the physical start date. Contact hours will be adjusted to include pre-work.
This certificate is designed as an exercise-based learning experience and is tied to NIGP’s Public Procurement Competency Framework. Upon completion of the certificate requirements, learners will have demonstrated the successful knowledge, skills, and abilities in alignment with the following Level 1 competencies: