SCC seeks a full-time Purchasing Specialist responsible for independently procuring a wide variety of commodities, materials, equipment and services for the College, many of which are highly technical and/or complex and require the application of complex procurement standards and procedures, including negotiation. Prepares detailed bid specifications, requests for proposals for commodities and services and purchase orders, as requested by College departments. Reviews and develops specifications and develops special contractual clauses, as needed. This position regularly engages in: reviewing non-standard contract terms & conditions; decision making for purchasing transactions; developing project implementation schedules and initiates contracts. Expedites the ordering and delivery process for commodities or services through the procurement systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures the prompt and effective delivery of essential goods and services to the College's administrative and academic departments within a timely manner.
- Consults with administrators and staff and by locating and identifying items and services being sought; contacts vendors and develops sources of supply and/or services; employs advanced writing skills in preparing the more complex invitations for bids, requests for proposals, purchase orders and contracts; performs advanced analytical work in evaluating responses to invitations for bids and request for proposals.
- Minimizes institutional liability by reviewing language and submittals in contracts/agreements to ensure compliance with governing regulations and College policy
- Recommends approval or disapproval of College contracts in terms of the adequacy of contract terminology, content, and obligation of the physical resources of the College.
- Coordinates with Purchasing Manager and other College administrators on variances outside standard contractual language and protective clauses.
- Ensures that the goods and services purchased on behalf of the College meet specified conditions and acceptable standards by analyzing current markets and determining if commonly used commodities or groups of commodities are suitable for a College contract.
- Prepares detailed bid specifications and contract requirements for the establishment of commodity and service contracts.
- Develops sources of supply and/or services, using the appropriate method prepare invitations for bids, request for proposals, purchase orders and contracts.
- Negotiates pricing and point of purchase discounts, sole source status, delivery of supply network(s), quality, payment, scope of work, change orders, etc.
- Authorizes, approves and issues purchase orders, awards of purchase, notices to proceed and contracts following individual level of delegated authority based on college policies & purchasing procedures.
- Coordinates the goods and supplies purchased by the College by organizing the arrival of all goods with the College Central Receiving Department, arranging for the return for credit of items, which are not acceptable.
- Protects the interests of the College regarding purchases by serving as a representative for the College in discussions between vendors and College departments.
- Maintains knowledge of Missouri and federal procurement laws, uniform commercial code, external funding agencies, industry standards and college board policies.