Construction Procurement and Contracts Manager Valley Water Salary: $12,412.40 - $15,853.07 Monthly Job Type: Full-Time Job Number: 01268-E Location: CA, CA Department: General Services Description This posting will close without notice. Please submit your application as soon as possible. NOTE Regarding Salary: A 4% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) will apply as of 6-28-21 Construction Contracts and Support Unit (Position Code 0696) Overview: The Construction Procurement and Contracts Manager is assigned to the Construction Contracts Unit and is responsible for managing Valley Water's complex and technical public works procurements including providing guidance, oversight, planning, contract development, negotiations, and administration of public works contracts in accordance with Federal, State and Local guidelines, and are expected to effectively perform their duties with minimum guidance and direction. Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plans, manages, and oversees the daily functions, operations, and activities of the Construction Contracts unit responsible for managing the business relationship of contract parties for public works contracts.
- Ensures the development and fulfillment of procurement and contract requirements are in accordance with Valley Water's policies and procedures, funding agency requirements, and local, state, and federal regulations; ensures consistency and oversight in contracts and contractual relationships.
- Manages and coordinates the preparation of invitation to bid (1TB), request for qualifications (RFQs), and request for proposals (RFPs); ensures that ITBs, RFQs, and RFPs are conducted consistent with appropriate contracting regulations; manages contractor prequalification process; advises staff on conducting pre-bid/proposal conferences and public bid/proposal opening, evaluating bids/proposals, and determining responsiveness and responsibility of offers; manages bid protest resolution in accordance with policies and procedures; responds to public records requests.
- Provides expert guidance in construction procurement and contract administration, including alternative delivery such as design-build (DB) and Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC} contracting, reviews plans, specifications, reports, and other documents for consistency with the selected contracting approach.
- Oversees the administration of the construction procurement and contracts databases and web-based procurement and bid systems. Ideal Candidate's Background Includes: Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- More than five years of construction contract program management experience ideally in public contracting including two (2) years of supervision of professional staff.
- Experience with contract claims and disputes.
- Demonstrate experience with on-line bidding solutions such as bid sync, bonfire, e-bid board, LPC tracker, etc. Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Plan and administer complex, technical, and sensitive design and construction procurement and contract services in an independent and cooperative manner.
- Evaluate and develop improvements to construction procurement and contract operations, procedures, policies, or methods.
- Conduct construction procurement and contract administration research, evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare effective staff reports.
- Establish and maintain a variety of construction procurement and contract filing, record keeping, and tracking systems.
- Organize and prioritize a variety of construction and procurement contract services and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner.
- Manage bid processes including preparation of complex ITBs, RFQs, and RFPs, and conducting pre-bid conferences and public bid openings.
- Review and approve specifications, contracts, change orders, claims, and stop notices.
- Develop and implement change order negotiation strategies and lead complex negotiations.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with all levels of staff across the organization and others encountered during business.
- Prepare and present clear and concise written and oral reports and related materials.
- Provide effective leadership in a diversely staffed organization, consistent with executive direction and agency values.
- Develop and implement goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards, and internal controls.
- Maintain and exhibit confidentiality, tact, discretion, and integrity.
- Draft effective and clear strategies, tactics, and contract language.
- Provide effective coaching and training.
- Select, supervise, evaluate, and develop subordinate staff. Ideal Knowledge:
- Theories, principles, and practices of construction procurement and contract administration including alternative delivery methods (such as DB and CM/GC).
- Bid process and contract administration principles, including ITB, RFQ, and RFP preparation, bidding requirements, bid analysis, cost analysis, bonding requirements, change order processing, stop notice processing, and claims processing.
- Theories, principles, and practices of design management, construction management, quality assurance/quality control, and construction inspection.
- Public contracting authority and responsibility.
- Principles, methods, and techniques of conducting contract negotiations.
- Theories, principles, and practices of claim avoidance and claim resolution.
- Organization and quality management practices as applied to the development, analysis, and evaluation of programs, policies, and operational needs of construction procurement and contract services.
- Principles and practices of construction procurement and contracts program budget development and administration and sound financial management policies and procedures.
- Practices of researching construction procurement and contract issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting effective staff reports.
- Computer software applications, such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, PeopleSoft, Contract Administration System (CAS), web-based procurement and bid systems, and other specialized software and databases. Ideal Training and Education: Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in engineering, architecture, construction management, or a related field. Required License or Certificate Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Job Description, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/JD Construction Procurement and Contracts Manager 3-2020.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Selection Process (1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview. (2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended. NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary. Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification. Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request. Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260. Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants. To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2323115 jeid-2ab3d47e14ca2e48800d3c1192c0eaa9 Copyright Â©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.jobelephant.com/