Description of Position Reporting directly to the Director of Business Services, this position plans, directs, evaluates and oversees the operations of the centralized Procurement and Contracting functions of the college. The Director works in close consultation with deans, directors, and department heads analyzing and recommending strategies relating to purchasing and contracting. This position also supervises the manager of the Mail, Print & Distribution Services area.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Creates and/or reviews Request for Proposals (RFP), Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Invitation to Bids.
• Reviews and approves procurements for materials and services for the College to ensure compliance with all statutes, regulations, limits and policies.
• Performs advanced level work in reviewing, revising, and/or originating complex contracts including construction, intergovernmental agreements, leases, and other contracts.
• Provides centralized contract review/approval support, maintains database of all College contracts and agreements, manages contract renewals, and executes contracts within designated authority parameters.
• Negotiates contracts with beneficial pricing, terms and conditions including risk avoidance and mitigation practices.
• Develops and maintains purchasing and P-card manuals, delegates purchasing authority to buying staff, and establishes, maintains, and disseminates policies and procedures to other units.
• Fulfills department head responsibilities, such as: establishing goals and objectives, monitoring budgets and developing operating procedures for the Procurement unit and related functions including mail, print & distribution, vending machine services, and excess/surplus property.
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Business Services or Vice President.
Minimum Expectations & Requirements:
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience within the procurement and contracting field, including at least four years with supervisory responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or closely related field.
- Experience issuing various types of formal procurements (RFPs, RFQs, ITBs).
- Demonstrated excellent communication, organizational, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and tactfully with all levels of personnel in the College and representatives of contractors and other public agencies.
Preferred Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in the public sector, preferable an educational environment.
- Experience using the Ellucian Banner Finance system.
- Master's degree in business, finance or closely related field.
- Current professional purchasing related certification such as Certified Public Purchasing Officer (CPPO), Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM), or other related professional certification.
Name: Ryan Bouwhuis