Join our organization in this new role! Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) is seeking an entry-level Finance Associate who will work in the Contracts Department to assist with the department's administrative and purchasing functions (small and micro). This position will include analytical and administrative areas of responsibility within the Finance Division. If you are a detail-oriented problem solver and have experience conducting data collection and filing to support a Finance or Contracts department, this may be the right role for you! The Finance Associate is responsible for purchasing goods and services, conducting reference checks, collecting, filing, monitoring insurance certificates to ensure they don’t expire, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) reporting, and conducting various research and analysis to strengthen a department’s or division’s policies, procedures and overall effectiveness.
The Contracts Department procures various goods and services (professional and analytical support for various vendors and consultants) to assist staff with implementing various regional transportation and other initiatives. Procuring these services at the least cost possible, with the highest quality, enables staff to support SCAG’s strategic goals to:
· Produce innovative solutions that improve the quality of life for Southern Californians
· Advance Southern California’s policy interests and planning priorities through regional, statewide, and national engagement and advocacy
· Be the foremost data information hub for the region; and
· Provide innovative information and value-added services to enhance member agencies’ planning and operations and promote regional collaboration, among others
WHO WE ARE
As a mission-driven organization, SCAG is committed to attracting and retaining talent who embody SCAG’s values. SCAG's workforce is passionate and committed to innovation that improves the quality of life for all Southern Californians. When you join SCAG, you can expect a culture where collaboration and teamwork are fostered.
SCAG operates as a hybrid organization because we recognize that work can be successfully performed in various locations. Designing a work environment and culture where SCAG’s mission, effectiveness, and collaboration can be more flexibly served demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) by supporting work-life balance for our employees, retaining our existing dedicated staff, and increasing access to new talent pools.
As part of our Work@SCAG hybrid approach, employees’ eligibility in the three work models (office, hybrid, remote) will depend on the department, position, responsibilities, and duties. All work models require employees to work from a location based within the SCAG region. This position is expected to be in the office one day per week.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
To foster innovative regional solutions that improve the lives of Southern Californians through inclusive collaboration, visionary planning, regional advocacy, information sharing, and promoting best practices.
Southern California's Catalyst for a Brighter Future.
SCAG CORE VALUES
· Be Open: Be accessible, candid, collaborative, and transparent in the work we do.
· Lead by Example: Commit to integrity and equity in working to meet the diverse needs of all people and communities in our region.
· Make an Impact: In all endeavors, effect positive and sustained outcomes that make our region thrive.
· Be Courageous: Have confidence that taking deliberate, bold, and purposeful risks can yield new and valuable benefits.
In this role you can expect to
· Process requisitions for goods and services under $10k from various divisions through the department’s Procurement Requisitioning System (Workplace)
· Compile data and conduct monthly Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) reporting
, and semi-annual Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) reporting
· Conduct reference checks for consultants submitting offers on SCAG’s solicitation
· Collect and monitor the expiration of insurance certificates
· Provide administrative support to the Contracts Department
· Conduct research and analysis to strengthen the department’s policies, procedures, and overall effectiveness
· Perform other duties as assigned
What you'll bring to this role
A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be with an Associate's degree or 2 years of college in a related field.
Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may also be considered.
We’ll be a great match if you also have:
· Strong ability to understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, regulations, policies, procedures, contracts, budgets, and basic accounting principles
· Experience compiling, analyzing, organizing, and storing data (electronically and hard copy) in a logically efficient manner
· Experience working with government contracts and the procurement department
· Ability to identify problems, and recommend solutions
· Ability to exercise sound judgment and show creativity in decision-making
· Ability to act professionally with various levels of SCAG employees and external representatives
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Knowledge of operating computers and general office equipment
· Experience using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Knowledge of State and Federal procurement laws and regulations, such as Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) 2 CFR 200, State of California contract regulations, Caltrans Local Assistance Procedures Manual, State of California Contract Manual, or State of California Public Contract Code
· Knowledge of principles and practices of contract administration for public agencies
Please apply through this link https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scag/jobs/4050283/finance-associate?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Name: Naomi Marquez
Closing Date: June 12, 2023