The City of Alexandria is seeking an experienced procurement/purchasing professional to serve as the Purchasing Coordinator II for the Department of General Services to manage and coordinate the department's procurement processes for a variety of products and services. The incumbent will be responsible for performing advanced professional contract administration and procurement work including obtaining quotes; completing purchases within established city, state and federal procurement regulations and guidelines; creating purchase orders; assisting with the development of specifications and scopes of work; creating and administering solicitations and bids including Requests for Proposals (RFP) and Invitations to Bid (ITB). Responsibilities will require a high level of detail, excellent writing skills and close coordination with other professional and technical staff. What You Should Bring The successful candidate should have extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of public/governmental purchasing and contract administration. The candidate should have extensive knowledge of federal, state and local laws pertaining to purchasing, contracts and contract compliance; extensive knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures in a wide variety of commodities and services. The successful candidate should have the ability to think and communicate clearly, strategically and analytically, both orally and in writing. The candidate should have the ability to collect, organize and evaluate data to develop logical conclusions and the ability to lead and facilitate meetings.
Examples of Work
- Prepares and coordinates a variety of solicitations, including Invitations to Bid (ITB), Requests for Proposal (RFP) and Requests for Quotation (RFQ);
- Coordinates and participates in pre-bid meetings and bid openings, and contract negotiations.
- Ensures contract compliance with federal, state and local requirements and regulations; evaluates all procurement activities for compliance with City regulations, policies and procedures and generally accepted public practices related to securing goods and services;
- Reviews and approves contracts, purchase orders and requisitions; maintains contact and negotiates with vendors; keeps informed of market conditions and new products; evaluates vendor performance.
- Prepares technical and administrative reports, correspondence, written recommendations, and makes oral presentations to senior management, City staff, and other organizations or groups as needed.
- Coordinates the bidding process and assists in the writing of specifications and scopes of work, identifying sources, contacting potential bidders, fielding questions during the bidding phase and evaluating proposals.
- Evaluates bids and proposals and recommends award according to established guidelines; participates in negotiations of pricing and terms.
- Provides guidance, assistance, and training to departmental staff regarding contract administration and procurement;
- Serves as the Department's liaison with the City's Purchasing Division of the Department of Finance;
- Performs related work as required.
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Procurement or related field; and three (3) years of experience in procurement and contract management or any combination of relevant experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.