DescriptionPerforms buying assignments of a complex nature requiring substantial background (or ability to research to gain technical knowledge) in assigned commodities, government purchasing policy, and procedure. Purchases goods and services at the most favorable price consistent with quality, quantity, and specification requirements. Ensures delivery at the appropriate place and at the appropriate time. Manages inventories of assigned commodities. Develops and maintains item specification databases. Prepares and issues formal and informal solicitation documents. Evaluates supplier offers and recommends the award of resulting contracts. Within designated authority, executes and administers purchasing contracts on behalf of the District. Essential Job Functions: Processes requisitions received to include determinations of source of supply and purchase terms, issues order, follows up resulting shipment, ensures timely delivery. Ensures that all transactions comply with district purchasing guidelines and procedures, school board procurement policy and applicable law/regulations. Batches requisitions and inventory reorder requirements into bid solicitation packages; issues, evaluates, and recommends awards of resulting contracts. Develops and publishes annual bidding calendars for assigned commodities. Surveys schools for requirements, issues bids, evaluates offers, recommends awards, places resulting orders, and ensures conforming delivery. Functions as chairperson for pre-bid/pre-proposal conferences. Responds to requests for information from schools and departments relating to requisition, order, and receiving status. Acts as technical advisor to authorization/standardization committees. Coordinates with department heads and other district technical staff to develop purchase standards, descriptions, and specifications for assigned commodity groups. Ensures that specifications comply with commonly accepted government procurement standards and Board of Education policy. Makes or causes to be made, such tests of materials as necessary. Maintains close liaison with suppliers and manufacturers to ensure thorough and current understanding of product lines, market conditions, and maintenance of good vendor relations. Develops and maintains bidder lists for sources of items in assigned commodity groups. Maintains vendor performance statistics. Secures prices, either estimated or actual, of items for budget and accounting purposes. Negotiates returns of over-shipments and damaged or nonconforming goods. Resolves contract disputes within designated authority. Audits and takes corrective action on vendor invoice discrepancies and price variances. Disseminates purchasing guidelines and procedures to stakeholders. Recommends purchasing policy/procedural changes. Prepares reports as required.
The following are required:
- Bachelor's degree with job related course work, or a combination of related course work and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of the general characteristics of supplies/services commonly purchased by an educational activity, sources of supply, commercial standards, governmental procurement practices, material management, Uniform Commercial Code, business law, good business practices, and ethics.
- Ability to develop and write legally sufficient bid solicitations and requests for proposals.
- Ability to draft legally sufficient item specifications.
- Ability to execute mathematical calculations required to analyze and compare complex bid and proposal schedules.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to comprehend written instructions and regulations.
- Ability to schedule a large volume of work in an efficient manner.
- Ability to work well under stressful conditions and under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of existing personal/server-based computer applications.
- Ability in working with and maintaining audit ready files.
- Skill in the use of computers in the purchasing function.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to conduct negotiations and resolve conflict with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to interpret, evaluate, and negotiate purchasing terms and conditions.
The following are preferred:
- Working knowledge of Tyler Munis Enterprise Resource Planning software.
- Purchasing or materials management experience in the public sector or mid to large corporate level.
- Professional certification in NIGP or NAPM.
- Familiarity with procedures for utilizing Cooperative Purchasing Agreements.
- Knowledge and experience with network and computer technology, and/or knowledge and experience with Universal Service Administrative Co. (USAC) E-rate program.
Access the job description and apply by clicking link: https://www.applitrack.com/northstar/OnlineApp/default.aspx?Category=Procurement To ensure consideration, please submit an application, cover letter, and resume no later than 9 PM AKST, Thursday, May 20th. Link to FNSBSD HR Homepage and information: https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/7995
Name: Shayna Ellingrud
Closing Date: May 20, 2021