DescriptionUnder the general direction of the University Director of Capital Projects and Facilities Procurement (CPFP), and/or his/her designee, the University seeks to hire a Procurement Professional (Purchasing Agent 1) to support the University’s capital program (which includes the Next Generation/UConn 2000) and facilities procurement by prequalifying design professional services and construction contractors, soliciting competitive bids, and negotiating in an open, fair, and competitive manner.
Primary responsibilities of this role include, but is not limited to: receive, process, and approve requisitions and purchase orders for goods and services (within approved authority level); determine the most appropriate delivery method of procurement of goods and services in accordance with federal/state statutes and University policies and procedures; assist with and/or prepare and solicit competitive bids from qualified vendors; assist with and/or define and negotiate appropriate terms and conditions on behalf of the University relative to contractual obligations; utilize existing policies, procedures, and statutes to support and/or plan, develop and organize all phases of assigned responsibilities for prequalification, bidding, awarding, contracting, and contract administration functions of construction, design professional services, and service maintenance related procurement efforts.
1. Bachelor's degree and one (1) to two (2) years of professional experience in a comparable institutional environment OR an Associate’s degree in a related field and three (3) to four (4) years of professional experience in a comparable environment.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of construction and design professional services procurement including proposal analysis, quality assessment, and value analysis.
3. General working knowledge of acceptable procurement practices applicable to purchasing and delivery methods.
4. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate those needs to the contractor/vendor community.
5. Ability to evaluate services and products and analyze data, business, and market trends.
6. Experience working with contractors, design professionals, engineers, facility managers, consultants, and/or industry staff to manage expectations, ensure technical compliance, and remove barriers.
7. Strong computer experience using MS Office.
8. Ability to travel to various sites/locations, as needed.
1. Bachelor’s degree, preferably in design, engineering, and/or a construction-related discipline.
2. Familiarity with online procurement systems (i.e. HuskyBuy or similar eProcurement system), financial, and/or project management software.
3. Knowledge of relevant statutes and policies regarding construction procurement.
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain constructive, professional relationships with a wide variety of individuals.
This is a full-time position at the Storrs campus working Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. but may require regular travel to other regional campuses as needed. This position comes with a starting salary range of $57,000-$63,000 and will be determined based on the successful candidate’s experience and training. Occasional travel to job sites and other campus locations, including UConn Health, is expected. The Department may be able to accommodate a remote or hybrid telecommuting work schedule subject to authorization and University policy. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA). Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #492596 to submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Screening will begin immediately. This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 29, 2023. All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp. The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Name: Melanie Savino
Closing Date: May 29, 2023