Assistant Procurement Specialist Valley Water Salary: $7,976.80 - $10,204.13 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01334-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: General Services Closing: 9/22/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Description Purchasing and Consultant Contracts Services Unit (Position Code 0100)
Duties: The Assistant Procurement Specialist in Valley Water's Purchasing Unit will facilitate the procurement of goods and services using both direct sourcing and competitive bidding processes in support of all business areas. Working directly with internal and external customers, this position will perform a variety of duties involved in the purchasing of goods and services for Valley Water; consult with client departments in determining specifications and scopes of work for the procurement of goods and services; complete purchase orders and contracts as assigned; and assist with the administration of internal programs.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Receives, analyzes, and processes purchase requisitions for goods and services; executes procurement processes in accordance with internal and external procedures; policies, and laws; prepares and publishes bid solicitation packages; analyzes bid submittals; issues Purchase Orders and contracts.
- Works with project managers to understand business needs; develops scopes of work and specifications; defines appropriate solicitation and sourcing methodology.
- Investigates, assesses, and resolves product, vendor, receiving or other complaints or discrepancies.
- Confers with suppliers and manufacturers to acquaint hem with procurement policies/procedures and obtain information for needed goods and service.
Ideal Candidate's Background Includes: Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- Four (4) years of public agency experience procuring both goods and services.
- Ideal candidate would have broad experience, including the procurement of materials and equipment, and services typical of a water district.
- Experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, particularly ones that utilize full e-procurement functionality is a plus.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Exercise appropriate initiative and judgment in answering questions and releasing information and resolve problems that are sensitive in nature; analyze and project consequences or decisions and/or recommendations.
- Record keeping practices and procedures related to a purchasing function.
- Good customer service skills.
- Analyze and evaluate bid proposals, purchase requisitions, specifications and other purchasing-related documents.
- Organize, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Efficiently conduct vendor and product research.
- Use tact, discretion and diplomacy in dealing with contractors and vendors.
- Establish and maintain highly effective working relationships with District managers, staff, suppliers, vendors and others encountered in the course of work.
- Principles and practices of public sector procurement including methods for processing purchase requisitions, facilitating the solicitation of competitive bids for goods and services, evaluating bids, and awarding contracts.
- Principles, practices, and techniques of drafting and administering standard purchase contracts and enforcing contract provisions.
- Interpret, explain, and properly apply procurement laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Application of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems and/or automated purchasing systems.
- Knowledge of sources and types of products, commodities and services used by a water district.
- Understand, interpret, explain and apply District, federal and state laws and regulations governing purchasing procedures.
Ideal Training and Education: Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business, Supply, Purchasing Administration, or a related field. Required License or Certificate Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Assistant Procurement Specialist 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Selection Process (1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance test, written test and/or oral interview examination. (2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary. Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification. Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request. Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260. Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff is not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants. To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2491011 jeid-d8920662010ce44facd19adb8e4d1ad0 Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved. https://www.jobelephant.com/