By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Distinguish between two primary negotiating methods and know when and how to use them.
- Develop and employ an effective pre-negotiation plan.
- Identify the essential principles of team negotiation and be able to apply them as either a team leader or participant.
- Apply basic techniques of persuasion for successful negotiation outcomes.
- Recognize, employ, and respond to various negotiation tactics.
- Identify ethical issues that may arise during a negotiation.
To be truly effective at what they do and not be over-matched by their private sector counterparts, public procurement professionals must learn the art and science of negotiation. This one-day course will cover the basic principles and techniques necessary to engaging in a successful negotiation. The course covers:
- Various types of negotiation strategies, and how and when they should be used;
- The importance of a negotiation team and the most effective ways to use it;
- How to effectively articulate your own needs and how to determine the needs of the other negotiating party;
- The basic do’s and don’ts that lead to negotiation success;
- How to recognize and deal with negotiation tactics;
- Strategies and methods for conducting a negotiation with a successful outcome;
- Recognizing and minimizing ethical issues.
The course will include hands-on negotiating practice as well as an interactive lecture and discussion.