Individuals are eligible to be considered for voting membership if they are: employed in a public purchasing organization whose agency (1) cannot fund membership in professional organizations, or (2) will not fund membership in professional organizations, or (3) does not include the individual in its membership.
Individuals are eligible to be considered for non-voting membership if they are:
- a FORMER PUBLIC PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL who is now self-employed or employed in the private sector and wishes to maintain NIGP membership affiliation
- a PRIVATE PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL employed by non-publicly funded organizations that follow public procurement practices
- a CONTRACTED PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL employed by private sector firms that are specifically contracted by a public entity to perform procurement functions
- an OTHER PUBLICLY-FUNDED PROCUREMENT PROFESSIONAL from other public, tax-supported institutions.
Enrolled part-time or full-time in an accredited college or university pursing an under-graduate or postgraduate degree in business or public administration, public purchasing or materials management, or related field of study shall be classified as a “Student Member” for a twelve-month period; renewable annually.
A student membership is available under the following conditions:
- Full-time enrollment shall be defined as twelve (12) or more credit hours for undergraduate students and six (6) or more hours for graduate students.
- Student members must be unemployed or employed on a part-time basis consisting of less than twenty-one hours per week.
Teachers, research specialists, department heads, directors, or deans of a college, university, or other academic institution with an educational responsibility in business or public administration, public purchasing or materials management
Individuals who are retired from a public purchasing organization that have previously held or currently hold an NIGP national membership. For purposes of this classification, “retired” shall be defined as retired from a public purchasing organization with retirement benefits and neither self-employed nor employed in the private sector. However, individuals may be self-employed and still considered to be a retired member if their self-employed work is strictly limited to service as an instructor or consultant for NIGP on a national or regional basis and receives less than $25,000 per calendar year from NIGP for these services.
Lifetime Memberships are reserved for those members who have twenty (20) years of NIGP national membership and meet NIGP's retired status qualifications at the time of application.
Individual Member covered under an agency membership who becomes unemployed can establish a complimentary, six-month individual membership to allow continuation of non-fee based member benefits while seeking employment. Call 800-367-6447, x426 or email firstname.lastname@example.org