A policy manual is a key element of good governance and management for your chapter.
A Policy Manual is a document containing written rules, operations, procedures or policy that governs the conduct within your chapter. In best use situations, policies play a strategic role in a chapter. They are developed in light of the mission and objectives of the chapter. While you may find a procedure and policy manual separate, it is ok for chapters to combine these into one document. First creating your policy and then documenting the procedure for it. It is important not to rely on just good practices or “we have always done it that way” and to have the authority of policy before you to ensure the success of your chapter.
Tips when creating or updating your chapter’s manual:
- Create a table of contents
- Keep it simple – use clean, concise, simple language
- Abolish outdates policies or procedures
- Don’t include information that maybe outdate quickly
- Identify “holes” as you go along
- Make sure the manual grows with the chapter