- Analyze the requirements for a procurement and determine which transportation and logistics processes provide the best solutions for the entity.
- Increase service to internal customers to provide faster warehousing turnaround.
- Define freight and logistics terms and conditions with internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify warehousing and logistics issues or concerns, to include the storage, movement, and delivery of commodities throughout the life of their usage in order to best meet entity needs.
- Track the precise location and distribution points of goods and assets at any point in the process.
- Discuss various techniques for safely and effectively managing inventories and optimizing inventory supply services to stakeholders.
- Develop processes and procedures to ensure safe, efficient, and ethically-aligned disposal of surplus, excess, or obsolete commodities. Decrease on-site physical injury through effective safety protocol.
- Reduce waste and risk of security breaches through effective commodity evaluation and disposal methodology.
Core Certificate: Foundations of Warehousing and Inventory Management Online
- Date: 05/17/2022 - 05/18/2022
- Start Time: 10:00 AM Eastern Time
- End Time: 6:00 PM Eastern Time
- Instructor: Mr. Darin L. Matthews, CPPO, CPSM, FNIGP, C.P.M., NIGP-CPPProgram Chair, Procurement & Supply ChainMr. Darin L. Matthews, CPPO, CPSM, FNIGP, C.P.M., NIGP-CPPMr. Darin L. Matthews, NIGP-CPP, CPPO, CPSM, FNIGP, C.P.M. Darin currently serves as a director for Negometrix USA, a leading e-procurement provider, and is also Chair of the Procurement & Supply Chain Program at the University of California, Santa Cruz. He has thirty years of procurement management experience in state and local government, higher education, and private industry. Darin speaks throughout the world on a variety of procurement topics, and his writings have been featured in Inside Supply Management, Government Procurement, Inside Supply Management, The Public Manager and The Journal of Public Procurement. His books include Warehousing and Inventory Control, Logistics and Transportation, and Effective Supply Management Performance. He has served on the faculty at numerous universities including Florida Atlantic University, University of Illinois, Portland State University, and Cal-Berkeley. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business/Political Science and Master degrees in Acquisition Management and Education/Technology. Darin is a certified instructor for NIGP and served as their President in 2007. He has also served as a board member of the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council and the Public Procurement Research Center at Florida Atlantic University. In 2020 Darin began serving as host of the podcast, They Evolution of Procurement, which is available on Spotify, Apple, and Google. On the Faculty of: Adding Value to the Procurement Process Alternative Dispute Resolution Contracting for Construction Services Logistics and Transportation Planning, Scheduling and Requirements Analysis Protests: Managing Options for Positive Results Warehousing and Inventory Control
- Level: Foundation
- Format: Virtual Instructor-Led
- Contact Hours: 15
- CEUs: 1.5
Oftentimes overlooked in favor of the more traditional responsibilities, the warehousing and inventory management apparatus of the public procurement function is a critical standard through which procurement professionals provide value to their larger governmental entities. Empowering learners with the foundation to ensure goods and materials are handled efficiently, effectively, and safely, NIGP’s Foundations of Warehousing and Inventory Management Core Certificate provides learners with the actions they need to succeed when providing support to their entity’s warehousing functions. Addressing working with internal and external stakeholders, asset control, waste reduction, storage utility, and maximum return on investment, Foundations of Warehousing and Inventory Management empowers public procurement professionals with actionable opportunities and best-practice guidance, promoting effective warehousing functionality to the logistic and economic benefit of all stakeholders.