Mr. Michael B. Gustafson, NIGP-CPP, CPPO, CPPB, MBA
Mike retired from the Commonwealth of Kentucky in August 2016. While he was with the State, Mike was in the Office of Procurement Services (OPS) in the Finance and Administration Cabinet (FAC) where he was a Strategic Procurement Specialist II.
Mike began his procurement career with the State in April 2000. During this time, he had the responsibility of creating and administering the Master Agreement Contracts for many of the transportation related items - fleet vehicles, school buses, tires, tractors, mowers, backhoes, all-terrain vehicles, boats, aircraft, fleet fuel, diesel and propane fuels. Mike was also the subject matter expert on all types of insurance, advertising, marketing, and digital media services, office supplies, and public safety and law enforcement items.
He worked with many State Agency representatives in the development of Request for
Bids (RFBs) and Request for Proposals (RFPs) which resulted in Contracts and Master
Agreement Contracts for their use. These were for the use of many of the State Agencies, local governments (cities and counties), schools, and universities. He also worked closely with those he supported on their Procurement Buying Plans and Spend Analysis.
In addition to Mike’s State procurement-related experience, Mike has management supervisory experience. His supervisory responsibility and accountability were for various size U.S. Army active-duty units (as a Platoon Leader for a 35-person platoon (at Ft Campbell, KY) and as a Battery Commander for a 150-person Air Defense Artillery battery (at Spangdahlem Air Force Base, Germany.) He had responsibility for office staff management in logistical and supply-related active and reserve-duty offices. Mike served as a military Instructor as well as a Regional Coordinator for 6 years in the Command and General Staff Officer College (CGSOC) and taught numerous strategic and logistical courses to military personnel. Mike retired from the US Army Reserves with 28 years of service.
Mike served as the supervisor for the procurement office / warehouse in an automotive Tier 1 parts supplier. Mike insured that the procurement and warehousing activities were accomplished in a timely manner to allow for uninterrupted automotive parts production and delivery. He was also responsible for all operational and maintenance related procurements for the production facility.
Mike received his NIGP-Certified Procurement Professional (NIGP-CPP) certification in May 2021, his Certified Public Procurement Officer (CPPO) certification in November 2008, and his Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) certification in April 2002. Prior to his retirement, Mike served as a member of the NIGP Chapter - Kentucky Public Procurement Association (KPPA) Board of Directors and was the Chairperson of the Education, Professional Development, and Certification Committee. Mike was honored to be selected as the recipient of the KPPA Betty Bingham Lifetime Achievement Award in October 2017.
In his much-awaited role as retired, Mike plans to continue facilitating NIGP courses and to travel as much as possible.
Cell: (502) 680-2671
Currently on the NIGP Faculty for the following courses:
- Contract Administration
- Legal Aspects of Public Procurement
- Risk Management in Public Contracting
- Sourcing and Solicitation
- Specialization Certificate - Construction Procurement
- Core Certificate - Foundations of Planning and Analysis
- Core Certificate - Foundations of Strategy and Policy
- Competency Module - Cost, Price, and Value Analysis
- Competency Module - Economics, Budget, Financial Management, and Accounting
- Competency Module - Ethics, Integrity, and Transparency
- Competency Module - Marketing Analysis and Forecasting
- Competency Module - Negotiations
- Competency Module - Requirements, Planning, and Understanding
- Competency Module - Specification Development
- Competency Module - Standardization
- CPPB Prep Class
- CPPO Prep Class
Previously on the Faculty for NIGP courses prior to the beginning of the Pathways program:
- Contract Administration in the Public Sector
- Developing and Managing Requests For Proposals in the Public Sector
- Introduction to Public Procurement
- Risk Management
- Sourcing in the Public Sector
- Strategic Procurement Planning
- The Legal Aspects of Public Purchasing