Objectives and Intended Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define the role of management and managers in an organization
- Distinguish between management, leadership, and administration in theory and in practice
- Explain the three general management styles (authoritarian, participative, and empowerment) and their respective uses
- Identify your views on hierarchy and management
- Understand the roles of individual contributors and managers and how they differ
- Identify your own approach toward managing (including personal effectiveness and enjoyment)
This course is designed for adult learners and/or managers.
This course considers the fundamentals of management and how managers can be effective in organizational settings. Based on D. Quinn Mills' book, Principles of Management, a text used at Harvard Business School, this course addresses managing in the modern organization.